If you want to keep your brain healthy and your memory sharp then put down that can of Coke, step away from the cookie tray, set your candy bar down and read this post!
Excessively high sugar levels in the body can destroy your brain! As a matter of fact this study showed that higher glucose levels are associated with lower memory. One of the markers looked at was hemoglobin A1c. This test is frequently done as part of a screening to diagnose diabetes. Your doctor may tell you that if your levels are less than 6.0% then you’re “okay”. Research shows that once your levels reach 5.3% your are starting to shrink your brain already!
Excessive sugar consumption can also lead to reductions in a very important brain chemical called “brain-derived neurotrophic factor” (BDNF). BDNF is critical for learning, forming memories and healing the brain. Think about this sugar rush occurring after consuming your can of Coke with close to 10 teaspoons of sugar.
According to the US Department of Agriculture, the average American consumes roughly 47 pounds of cane sugar and 35 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup every year!
So what steps can you take to protect your brain and prevent high sugar levels?
- Eat a diet that is rich in real, unprocessed foods with plenty of color.
- Replace soda water with clean, pure, filtered water. Considering adding some slices of lemon or lime to help flavor your water and add some additional antioxidants.
- Avoid fruit drinks that are laden with sugar and just eat the whole fruit.
- Avoid high-sugar coffee, energy and sports drinks.
- Supplement each day with the essential fatty acid DHA. One UCLA study in rats showed that DHA supplementation could protect the brain from the adverse effects of too much sugar.
What steps are you taking to protect your brain from too much sugar?